TheLivingTreasure Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Current Affairs > All Current Affairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DOWRY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOWRY
    Posted: 26August2003 at 12:56am

Dowry is a well accepted

"SOCIAL EVIL"

We see it, We feel it

We may experience it

BUT...Do we do anything to put an END TO IT

Regards

�.���`�."Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it"�.���`�.�
Request- This is Everyone's forum, so please participate in it by posting...
IDEAL Singh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDEAL Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26August2003 at 1:37am

Nice discussion already going on this topic at :::

http://www.thelivingtreasure.com/forum/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25&PN=1

Aval allah noor upaya, kudrat kae sabb bandae ||
Ek noor tae sab jag upjaeya, Kon bhalae ko mandae ||SGGS-1349||

manmohansingh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manmohansingh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22September2003 at 1:14am

This socail evil has to be crubbed .the onus lies on us only.

what i believe is u can't survive for whole life on what others are giving u , there is no barkat in it.

do ur karma & be satisfied with ur hard earned money.

relish the fruits of ur doing .

the sense of accomplishment of ur hardwork is  far better then begging (dowry).

Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09March2004 at 10:33am

Dowry originated in upper caste families as the wedding gift to the bride from her family.  The dowry was later given to help with marriage expenses and became a form of insurance in the case that her in-laws mistreated her.  Although the dowry was legally prohibited in 1961, it continues to be highly institutionalized.  The groom often demands a dowry consisting of a large sum of money, farm animals, furniture, and electronics.

The practice of dowry abuse is rising in India.  The most severe in bride burning, the burning of women whose dowries were not considered sufficient by their husband or in-laws.  Most of these incidents are reported as accidental burns in the kitchen or are disguised as suicide.  It is evident that there exist deep rooted prejudices against women in India. Cultural practices such as the payment of dowry tend to subordinate women in Indian society.

Though prohibited by law in 1961, the extraction of DOWRY from the bride's family prior to marriage still occurs. When the dowry amount is not considered sufficient or is not forthcoming, the bride is often harassed, abused and made miserable. This abuse can escalate to the point where the husband or his family burn the bride, often by pouring kerosene on her and lighting it, usually killing her. The official records of these incidents are low because they are often reported as accidents or suicides by the family. In Delhi, a woman is burned to death almost every twelve hours . The number of dowry murders is increasing. In 1988, 2,209 women were killed in dowry related incidents and in 1990, 4,835 were killed . It is important to reiterate that these are official records, which are immensely under reported. The lack of official registration of this crime is apparent in Delhi, where ninety percent of cases of women burnt were recorded as accidents, five percent as suicide and only the remaining five percent were shown as murder .

According to Government figures there were a total of 5,377 dowry deaths in 1993, an increase of 12% from 1992. Despite the existence of rigorous laws to prevent dowry-deaths under a 1986 amendment to the Indian Penal Code (IPC), convictions are rare, and judges (usually men) are often uninterested and susceptible to bribery. Recent newspaper reports have focused on the alarming rate of deaths of married women in Hamirpur, Mandi and Bilaspur districts in the state of Himachal Pradesh.

�.���`�."Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it"�.���`�.�
surinderpammi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surinderpammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14March2004 at 5:55am

Dear Jujhar g & other members of the Forum, dowry system is the greatest kalank on our society, which leeds to torture(mental & physical as werll) & death(may b suicide by the bride) or burning alive of the innocent women. One thing is more to note is that most of the torture or killings are committed by the women(mother in laws). This is a shame on our (so called) v rich society.

Regards

Pammi 

sukss View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15March2004 at 12:07am

Yes dear friends....u all r very right...we all must spread the message to not to support/promote dowry system to anybody who comes in our contact...this is really an injustice to the Girl n her parents...

Sukhbir Singh
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15March2004 at 2:23am
Thanx alot sukhbir ji and pammi ji for the support...coz we can help this society to get rid of this evil...
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16December2004 at 12:38am
Dowry deaths growing in India - A Shame for all of us What are we doing to curb this curse from our society?
Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16December2004 at 1:44am

Jujharji, i can hardly believe this is still happening in modern times...I think the only persons who can change this is youth, if they stop this when their children get married. But i can be wrong, we dont face this problem here so i know little about it, but i heard some stories and yes its a big problem.

Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16December2004 at 1:57am

Yeh I know that we all can help it, we can atleast give it a start and LT is doing its best efforts to fight with this Evil in our Society. We have already done may marriages without Dowry in LT and we promote this in our seminars and programmes also. Grumat doesnt teach us to take dowry, but its now a days promoted in name of Gifts to bride and groom with which we are influencing this poison for even poor people who r a part of the society, but cant afford this dowry, but they have to take Loans to marry their daughters and still grooms family whos greedy ask for more and more....I think we all have to take this step in our own weddings and I m proud to say that I didn't take anything from my In-laws and I believe that if we cant afford to give comfort to our wife then we dont have a right to get married...so together in LT we will try to eradicate this disease from the Society, i hope the members of this forum will pledge that they will not take dowry in the name of gifts in their children's weddings or their own weddings.

Regards

Learner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Learner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18December2004 at 1:48pm

Very glad to see this topic on forum. Jujhar jee have given us history of dowry. Its very shameful that we people are still living in the society where ladies are burnt for dowry , or are tortured for the same. Now a days they say, whatever you are giving will help your daughter in her tough time, we dont want anything, Even girls today want that every thing from A to Z should be given to them so that they can use it freely without any hesitation .They say we dont want to be burden on some one else or Kissi aur ki chiz ko mein haath bhi naa lagaaon. BUT all this is rubbish, its untrue. Those people are not understanding the adjustment, sharing and other important things which are required for marriage. There is no understanding between those families.

One more thing doing marriage without dowry is also not the last step.

Jujhar jee congratulations to you for doing dowry free marriage.

Please correct me where ever I am wrong .and I think this is an important issue so it needs to be discussed regularly because it has few posts only.

Pure Soul View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18December2004 at 7:45pm
 Learnerji, i complete agree with your statement. Also what Jujharji told about this. It ruines many lifes and best is to do something about it. But this will not be easy as you sure know. Like i said we dont face that problem here because i live in an European country, but i understand it can be a big burden on parents.....thanks for your precious thoughts. Thanks to Jujharji for putting this very important topic back here. You are right Learnerji, its a very important issue and very useful to all and i hope lot of LT members will share their precious views on this and discuss it with all of us...
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19December2004 at 1:10am
Thanx alot to both of you for putting ur precious views...I m glad that people are awakening for this cause thru LT forum, its the need of the hour that we all shld fight against this evil in our society...I also wana welcome Learnerji to the LT family and would also like to request you to be regular on the forum ji....

Regards
ishq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ishq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19December2004 at 6:46am

is Dowry is bad  

why we not change the meaning of dowry

if i said that we should give dowry

shocked ....

yes we should give dowry  to the poors , who r helpless . we saw many poor girls married and her husands did not do any work , we help her by giving dowry , in their maarige we giving them sewing machines , etc and make tem self dependent

hope we all give this type of dowery

ishq with love

sorry if i said something wrong

Where there is love there is life
()".'."()
( (^) )
(�) (�)
&n
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19December2004 at 12:15pm
Veer ur idea is gr8, but dont call it a dowry, its the most precoius gift we can give to people to make them earn their living
Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06January2005 at 4:07am

I want new members to add their precious views in  this important issue which needs attention as the Dowry deaths are at alarming rate in India Do share with us, if u have experienced any such act which was against this social evil...i mean if u or any of ur loved ones have faught against dowry. Such inspirational case can be helpful for all of us.

U all must have read in the projects section of LT team, where they have got SOMA- a victim of Dowry get physically fit thru several serious operations after she was badly burned and was left in that situation for whole one year. I participated in her getting the treatment personally, coz when one of the LT family member found this lady in a backward area in Delhi during a survey we were conducting, we decided to get her some medical treatment so that she could live a healthy life. And with Gods grace and efforts of many LT family members she is fit today and earning her own living and is happy.

Lets ask ourselves that are we doing anything for the society or we are just talking about issues which ends no where??? and do we impliment and learn gurbani in real sense???

regards 

Regards

Narinder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03July2007 at 5:51am

There is no doubt that dowry is the highest level of inhuman act.  Day by day it is spreading like a virus which is ruining our own lives.

Still we, sometimes, see a ray of hope somewhere when people are awakened and fight against this evil.  Veerji always, in his sermons,  speak against dowry and inspire the  youngsters to go against this cruel practice and take pledge not to give or take dowry.  And the result is conspicuous. So many couples tied the wedlock without any dowry and show off.  I have seen people who have stopped taking wine and cutting beard etc. after hearing him in programmes or seminars.

Some people, in fact, are known by the light of their consciousness and it is true.

Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19September2011 at 3:07am
Yes u r right Narinder ji....wen we start following the truth...these evils start dropping....
Hardeep Singh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardeep Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22May2012 at 1:52am
Dowry system in our society is a big curse for all of us...It is a very old system so can not be vanished so easily but let us try together to stop and vanish it completely.....Aamir Khan has taken a gr8 initiative for the same thru his tv show - Satyamev Jayte...In Living treasure also frm many years awareness is being spread to stop this tradition due to which so many girls and their families r suffering...Hope that we will be able to get rid of it soon...
hardeep kaur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardeep kaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22May2012 at 2:17am

giving/taking dowry has become the status symbol nowadays....the families who give/take this are not only greedy but are also a problem generators for those who can't afford lavish dowry...people who get trapped in pitty show off and competition from one another expects whatever other families are giving/taking we would also do the same...there the problem arises...the givers dont bother that they themselves are creating a problem for so many around ...a web of problem gets created which leads to COMPLETE LOSS..let us see how:-

suppose for a girl a father is wishing to give a lavish dowry and he is taking some loan @ higher interest ofcourse ,then what happens is near about half of father's life goes on paying the principal or the interest, the other siblings are deprived off their proper studies as now after paying for the dowry father is short off finance, every small n big purchases are thought thousand of times due to lack of funds and in many cases fathers have committed suicides too due to not able to repay the principal..and the daughter who was given a lavish dowry is also suffering so a single dowry brings a complete web ..why not SAY NO TO DOWRY!!! and save many lifes...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic