TheLivingTreasure Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Current Affairs > All Current Affairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prominent Gurusikhs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17May2007 at 6:00pm

Dear Selina Ji, Pammi ji's translations of the poem are as beautiful as his poem. He tries to preserve the true meaning and feelings behind the Punjabi poetry in English. Translation  becomes another poem by Itself. Thank you Pammi Veer JI for all your efforts and dedication.

Have a wonderfully blessed day.

Regards

Life is short, energy limited, with this limited energy we have to find the unlimited; with this short life we have to find the eternal. Don?t waste it with unimportant matters

Khoji

Jujhar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jujhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18May2007 at 1:17am
This is my favorite song, Pammi ji thanks for sharing
�.���`�."Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it"�.���`�.�
Request- This is Everyone's forum, so please participate in it by posting...
pammi pammi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pammi pammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18May2007 at 6:21am

I would like to thank Salina g, Khoji g & dear Jujhar for appriciating the translation. Actually I don't deserve such an appriciation ' cos I m not a scholar in Eng. I only take the things by heart & write it in a layman's language, and it's your greatness that u like my work 'cos I know that u r all v good  and kind by heart.

Regards wid luv hugs

S Pammi

Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11September2007 at 5:14pm
   Dr. Amarjit Singh Marwah
SCORE Lifetime Achievement Honoree

Dr.Amarjit Singh Marwah, a well known and respected philanthropist in both the United States and India, is credited as the first dentist of Indian heritage to practice in America. After finishing high school from Kot Kapura, Punjab, he joined college in Lahore and also graduated in dentistry from there. He came to USA on a scholarship and became alumni of the University of Illinois and Harvard University which have been recipient of a large grant from him. Professionally he has had very lucrative career but Dr. Marwah always kept close touch with community. He has held a series of high profile positions within Southern California. He has been conferred the honor of chairing Arts commission in Los angles, World Affair Council of Los Angeles, occupied prestigious position on the Board on Navy League of America , International Visitors Council. He has been closely associated with the political circles in Los Angeles including the Mayor Tom Bradley and the current Mayor. He is also a co-founder of the Bank of Punjab, a service oriented bank formed entirely on modern technology with underpinning of community service, a concept unheard of in the banking world in India 11 years ago.

Dr. Marwah is also known as the Founder of the first Sikh Gurudwara in Los Angeles in 1969. He also helped finance and support Dalip Singh Saund in the late 1950s, who was the first ever United States Congressman of South Asian descent. One of well known Sikh in North America, Dr. Marwah has served the community in varied ways. His hospitality has been legendry and innumerable needy people have been helped by him personally in USA. In addition, he has supported many humanitarian causes in Punjab. Imparting education to poor is his passion and he has single handedly financed the education of many disadvantaged students in Punjab by way of scholarships and also by building infrastructure. His far sightedness envisioned that healthy and wholesome development of community is possible only if women are educated and to achieve this purpose he started KK Marwah Girls College (named after his wife, Kuljit Kaur Marwah) in Faridkot , Punjab. In Mahindra College, Patiala, he helped built an auditorium with matching funds.

Dr. Amarjit Singh Marwah has been a successful professional, a committed citizen, a dedicated Sikh, and a humanitarian who made enormous contribution to enrich the lives of those he touched. He is leading a very active and productive life in the society he lives in but the beauty is he is still connected to his roots.
Life is short, energy limited, with this limited energy we have to find the unlimited; with this short life we have to find the eternal. Don?t waste it with unimportant matters

Khoji

Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24March2010 at 4:31pm

Sikh U.S. Army Officer Successfully Completes Basic Training

First Practicing Sikh in 23 Years,
Accepted by Fellow Soldiers and
Excelled During Training

San Antonio, TX)  March 23, 2010 - Captain Tejdeep Singh Rattan graduated from basic training yesterday at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio to great fanfare from the Sikh community.  Through the campaign that began last April, the Sikh-American community reached a major milestone with the first turbaned Sikh officer to complete basic training in over two decades.

Though the Army's policy of not allowing Sikhs to serve with their articles of faith intact remains in place, Sikhs can celebrate that Captain Rattan's accommodation and successful completion of basic training proves Sikhs do not have to sacrifice their religion to serve effectively in the U.S. Army.

"I am overjoyed to have completed basic training and now able to serve my country," said Captain Rattan. "Most importantly, I was able to successfully complete all aspects of my initial training and had an overwhelmingly positive experience with the base command, Army leadership, and my fellow soldiers. I look forward to continuing to serve my country."

Contrary to the concerns of some, Captain Rattan met all the requirements of a solider during basic training.  He wore a helmet over a small turban during field exercises. During gas mask exercises, he successfully create a seal. He also built strong bonds with the soldiers in his platoon.

Yesterday's graduation marks a significant milestone in the campaign to ensure Sikhs may serve in the Army. The Coalition looks forward to the day when military policy allows any Sikh to serve without having to make a request for accommodation. It is the Sikh Coalition's intention to continue fighting until every Sikh can freely assume the profession of their choice.

As always, the Sikh Coalition calls on all Sikhs to stand up for their rights and fearlessly maintain their articles of faith.

Additional Materials from the 'Sikh Right to Serve' Campaign

March 23, 2009: Press Release,
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/army

Dec 11, 2009: Tejdeep Singh Rattan to be Accomodated by U.S. Army,
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/2nd_Sikh_U.S._Army.htm

August 18, 2009: Congress Speaks Out Against U.S. Army's Exclusion,
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/Congress_Letter_to_

Gates.htm

June 2, 2009: U.S. Army Responds to Sikhs' Concerns,
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/ArmyResponds.htm

April 14, 2009: Vaisakhi Sees the Launch of the 'Sikh Right to Serve' Army Campaign,
http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/USArmyLaunch.htm

April 14, 2009: Photos from the 'Sikh Right to Serve' Campaign Launch:
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/37378714@N02/sets/72157616772941450/show/
April 7, 2009: Two Sikh Lead Fight for 'Right to Serve',

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/advisories/USArmyAnnouncement.htm

You could see Graduation Photos at this web-link

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/Graduation_Photos_1.asp

Khoji

Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24March2010 at 4:35pm
 – U.S. Army Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan, center wearing turban, stands with other graduates during a U.S. …

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer Michelle Roberts, Associated Press Writer Tue Mar 23, 7:37 am ET

SAN ANTONIO – The soldiers in standard-issue fatigues and combat boots stood side-by-side repeating their creed: "I am an American soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values ...."

Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan was no different except that he wore a full beard and black turban, the first Sikh in a generation allowed to complete U.S. Army basic officer training without sacrificing the articles of his faith. He completed the nine-week training Monday after Army officials made an exemption to a policy that has effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting since 1984.

"I'm feeling very humbled. I'm a soldier," said the 31-year-old dentist, smiling after the ceremony at Fort Sam Houston. "This has been my dream."

Rattan had to get a waiver from the Army to serve without sacrificing the unshorn hair mandated by his faith. An immigrant from India who arrived in New York as a teenager, Rattan said he hopes his military commitment will allow him to give back to his adopted home country and will help diminish prejudice Sikhs sometimes face in the U.S.

The Army in 1984 eliminated an exemption that had previously allowed Sikhs to maintain their articles of faith while serving, but officials can issue individual waivers to the uniform policy after considering the effects on safety and discipline, said Army spokesman George Wright. Only a handful of such individual religious exemptions are ever granted.

Rattan and Dr. Kamaljeet Singh Kalsi, who will attend basic training this summer after completing an emergency medicine fellowship, are the first Sikhs to receive exemptions in more than 25 years.

Rattan — who received a master's degree in engineering before pursuing a dental education_ and Kalsi both offer health care skills that are in high demand in an Army stretched by wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Rattan said he encountered no trouble from fellow soldiers during training.

"The Army is all about what you have to offer. If you're sitting back there, not doing anything, they're definitely going to talk about you. But if you're up there running with them, you have good scores, you run neck-and-neck with them, they love you," he said. "I made a lot of friends."

1st Sgt. Jeffrey DeGarmo said he made sure the officers-in-training in his unit understood that Rattan wasn't a foreign national and had received the Army's permission to maintain his beard and turban. Once the other soldiers understood that, there were no issues, he said.

"It went pretty well," DeGarmo said. "I think he did an outstanding job adjusting."

During training, Rattan wore a helmet over the small turban, which he doesn't remove, and was able to successfully create a seal with his gas mask despite the beard, resolving the Army's safety concerns, said Harsimran Kaur, the Sikh Coalition's legal director.

Rattan also worked with an Army tailor to create an insignia patch normally worn on soldiers' berets that could be affixed to his black turban, she said.

An estimated 300,000 Sikhs live in the United States. The unshorn hair wrapped in a turban and beard are required to keep adherents in the natural state in which God made them, said Amardeep Singh, director of the Sikh Coalition, a New York-based advocacy group that helped Rattan and Kalsi push for Army admittance.

The Sikh community has a long tradition of military service in India, from where most adherents originally emigrated, and in other countries, such as the United Kingdom and Canada. Sikhs represent 2 percent of India's population but make up about 30 percent of that country's army officers, Singh said.

Before the Army's regulation change in 1984, Sikhs served in the U.S. military during every major armed conflict going back to World War I. Those who joined before the change were allowed to serve with their beards and turbans, but the policy effectively prevented new enlistment of Sikhs, Kaur said.

The coalition continues to push the Army to change the overall policy.

"If government can say to someone, 'You can't serve, not for any reason that has to do with your abilities,' that sends the wrong message," Singh said. "We don't want to be perpetual outsiders."

Edited by Khoji - 24March2010 at 4:36pm

Khoji

Ur Frnd - Jaspreet View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ur Frnd - Jaspreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25March2010 at 12:52am
Great achievement ...
ashpinder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashpinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25March2010 at 3:04am
great sharing khoji ji
what make some people dearer it is not just the happiness thaat u feel when u meet them but it is the pain u feel when u miss them
Khoji View Drop Down
Rapid Poster
Rapid Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khoji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19June2011 at 1:19am
Fauja Singh

Fauja Singh for London 2012 Olympic Torchbearer

We want Fauja Singh to be the final Torchbearer for London 2012.
Description
With one year to go to the Olympic Flame arrives in the UK, London 2012 has launched the search for 8,000 torchbearers to take part in the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.

They will be individuals whose personal stories will inspire millions of people as the 70 - day Relay travels the length and breadth of the UK.

We want Fauja Singh to be selected to do the final bit of the run - this would be brilliant, powerful and inspiring to the people internationally of all ages irrespective of religon, caste, colour, creed, nationality.

Together with their Presenting Partners Coca Cola, Lloyds TSB and Samsung, London 2012 need you to help them find the Torchbearers. Find our more about nominating FAUJA SINGH at:

http://www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay

Fauja Singh (born April 1, 1911) is a centenarian British Sikh. He is a marathon runner of Indian descent who is a world record holder in his age bracket. His current personal best time for the London Marathon (2003) is 6 hours 2 minutes, and his marathon record, for age 90-plus, is 5 hours 40 minutes, at the age of 92, at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2003.

Singh has stated, "I won't stop running until I die. The next target, God willing, is to be the oldest marathon runner ever." and, "At the time when people start retiring, I thought of running at the age of 63...and today I won the marathon at 93 years of age."

In 2004, Singh was featured in an advertising campaign for sportswear manufacturer Adidas alongside David Beckham and Muhammad Ali.

Singh, who is a vegetarian, holds UK records for the 200 m, 400 m, 800 m, mile and 3000 m for his age group, records all set within a single 94 minute period.

Achievements
Running Career

Rediscovered at age of 81
Marathons run: London (5), Toronto (1), New York (1)
Marathon debut: London, 2000, aged 89
London Flora Marathon 2000: 6:54
London Flora Marathon 2001: 6:54
London Flora Marathon 2002: 6:45
Bupa Great North Run (Half Marathon) 2002: 2:39
London Flora Marathon 2003: 6:02
Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2003: 5:40
New York City Marathon 2003: 7:35
London Flora Marathon 2004: 6:07
Glasgow City Half Marathon 2004: 2:33
Capital Radio Help a London Child 10,000 m 2004: 1:08
Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon 2004: 2:29:59

Edited by Khoji - 19June2011 at 1:21am

Khoji

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic